Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ishinomaki, Sayonara Itsuka

I have completed my medical relief work and left Ishinomaki yesterday.  I feel I have done something useful, while I have not done enough… It’s a mixed feeling.
Over 100 days after the devastating earthquake/Tsunami, temporary houses are being built at a rapid pace.  People living in the shelters are now thinking about and planning for their “post-shelter” lives.  Medical social workers have a lot of work cut out for them.  Most of the shelters, including Yugakukan, will be closed out in coming months.  I will miss the people I met there, but it will be a good thing for people to be back to their normal lives and move on to their new endeavors.


I hope the day will come soon when a music stand will be used as a music stand…

My job is done for now.   

Ishinomaki, “Sayonara Itsuka” (Good bye, see you again someday…)


 

2 comments:

  1. Taka, what an inspirational blog! Thanks to you and all the Japanese nationals who went to work in Japan this summer. I'm sure no pictures or stories can give anyone a true picture of the devastation you saw. But, you reminded us how important it is to think about others and their challenges and how we can help. Thank you, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your kind words, Kimberly. It was such humbling experience. I think I was able to assist in some way, and the recovery may take years. (I sincerely hope it would be much sooner) I keep praying and trying to help them as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete